Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My Tummy

So this is my 3rd pregnancy, and it's been quite a 9 months! After my miscarriage last year I have been scared to share the pregnancy.

So here's my story. In December Mike and I talked about how we'd love to have medical insurance. I thought, well why can't I see if i could get a job that had benefits. So I put in a bunch of applications and got an interview with Nelnet. They are a student loan company. My interview was for collections! I guess I fit the collector role and I was hired!!! I week later I found I was PREGNANT!

Mike changed his schedule as a tow truck driver and watched the girls during the day, and worked at night. My first day of training was Monday, January 4th and I loved everything I was learning, when on Friday I started feeling hot and sweaty, my pants were too tight and i just wanted to curl up in a ball and sleep. That's when the morning sickness started. For the next month and a half I spent ALOT of time getting to know the Nelnet restroom, while I was trying to be a model employee. My hours of work were 11am-8pm. I was told if you worked real hard you could get a morning shift, So I worked overtime, signed up for extra hours like working on holidays and Saturdays, and didn't miss a day...even if I was puking my brains out on my breaks. In February Mike quit his job so that he could focus on his last quarter of school and more on the girls during the day.

Mean while I had met with my Doctor, for the baby. When I was suppose to be 11 weeks, I first met with her and she listened for a heart beat. Couldn't find one (immediately I thought I had had another miscarriage). So she scheduled an ultrasound for that thursday. They found a heart beat and decided that the baby was only 9 weeks along not 11weeks. Yay! Baby #3 was healthy and looking good...just a little younger than we thought :) The doc talked to me about my age and how I would be 35 by the time the baby was born and asked if I wouldn't mind seeing a specialist to run some tests to make sure that the baby would be born with nothing wrong. I figured better safe then sorry, lets do it. So I met with a doctor at Bryan LGH, whom we fell in love with! The tests they run requires the baby to be in a certain spot at a certain angle so that they can test the fold at the back of her neck. Of course my baby would not cooperate! After the 3rd appointment they got the perfect reading. After the test came back all looked perfect. I was due to come back at around 20weeks for more tests and to find out the sex of the baby. Meanwhile my doc and I discussed my family history and because of that and the fact that I am overweight and would be 35 at the time of delivery, she wanted me to do a glucose test at 17 weeks...I FAILED the one hour. So I took the 3 hour test...and FAILED! I had gestational diabetes! So I got hooked with a nutritionist who helped me to see what I could and couldn't eat, and do. AND I had to prick my finger 4 times a day, and keep track of my readings so that I could report them back to the doc.

I went to the specialist appointment and all looked great with the baby...and we found out it's a girl!!! Sorry Mike! After that things seem to quiet down and bit and I started to grow (although I do need to brag that at the end of my pregnancy I have only gained 7 pounds!!!)

In June Mike decided to get his bachelor degree and continue school. He is enrolled at Bellevue University in an accelerated Marketing Management program, this will go perfect with his AAS in Graphic Design. So we had a talk again and decided to have him go back to work. He put in a couple of calls and that same day at the beginning of July got a call back from La Grande Excavating, they hired him as a Dump Truck Driver. This was tuesday and they wanted him to start that friday!!! Now we had to find a babysitter.

One of the girls from church came to watch the girls that friday and I left early to check out daycares. Well, it is so hard to find daycare! The good ones are way too expensive and the others are well, not the good ones. Also with my schedule of working till 8pm and Mike's job as a driver which is never a steady time off that was hard to find a daycare that was opened that late. What were we to do??? Mike loved his new job and I was still pretty happy at Nelnet, neither of us wanted to quit so now what? We decided to just have friends watch the girls until I went on Maternity leave and then we figure it out.

I was 8 months went I woke up one morning and felt contractions. I knew it was too early so I called my doc and she said to go into the labor and delivery. This was a wednesday close to the end of July. I got to l&d, they got me all hooked up to the machines to see the contractions and found that I wasn't having any. But I swear I was having pain in my pelvic area, the doc prescribed a medicine to "help me sleep" and said that it was just ligament pains. Turns out the medicine is also used for anxiety and stress. It really helped me to relax. Monday I went to see the doc for a regular appointment, and asked if she gave the meds because she thought I was stressed. She assured me it was just to help me relax and sleep. That's when I lost it...right there in her office. I started blubbering about daycare and the cost of insurance and how I was killing myself to stay in the top 20 at work so that I could get a morning shift. I told her I didn't know what to do and I figured out on my own that I was stressed beyond belief. She patted me on the back as I apologized for crying and told me to give myself a break, I was pregnant after all and I had a lot on my plate! I decided right then that I would quit my job and stay home with the girls. I put in my two weeks that very day.

After 3 non-stress tests to make sure the baby was doing OK and 3 ultra sounds everything looked great with the baby...BUT, She was 8lbs 3oz!!! Holy night. Abbey was 7lbs 4oz, Maddie was 6lbs 9oz. Over 8lbs??? Are you kidding me? Get this kid out now!!! They set up an appointment again with the same specialist as in the beginning to do an amniocentesis on August the 18th to make sure the baby's lungs were developed enough, and then I would be induced that night.

On August 16th I had a routine appointment with Dr. Lovegrove my OB as I sat waiting for her I kept having contractions. I told her and she checked me and found that I was thin and 2 1/2 cem dilated. She told me to go home and time the contractions, if they got to be 5 min apart to go into to l&d. I called Mike, he was on a job 1 hour away and had a flat on his dump truck. I told him not to rush but my contractions were 7 minutes apart and had been steady for 2 hours. I called my Mom and she said she would take the rest of the day off and come over. Mike got home and we decided to go on a family walk, maybe we could push these contractions along. After we got home we timed them again and they were 5 minutes apart. Mike and I left for the hospital, we kept timing the contractions and now they were 3-5 minutes apart. This was it!! The baby was coming all on her own no need for an amneo, no need for an induction!!! After 2 hours of sitting in labor and delivery again all hooked up, the contractions went from 5 and stayed steady at 7-8 minutes. They sent me home :( Now I had to rush home because I could still make it to Abbey's back to school night. Mike and I were way disappointed, but we got to meet Abbey's teacher and see her cute new Kindergarten room.

Today was Abbey's first day of school and we walked her to school (more to follow) then we took off to meet with Dr. Malee the specialist at Bryan. She did the amneo and everything went fine. The poke of the needle didn't even hurt. She sent me home and said she's call in the afternoon with the results. She called me and told me that the baby was cooked and well done!!! Since I am dilated and basically ready to go they are having me go into to Bryan LGH at 5am tomorrow tursday the 19th to start the induction.

Sophia Jean Scarlett should be here by tomorrow....lets hope.


Sean, Jen, Carson and Addie said...

WOW! What a crazy story! I love, love, love the name that you've picked out and I'm super excited to see pictures when she gets here!

melissa gargalis said...

holy cow Brenda! I've been thinking about you like crazy and have been meaning to call you. But now I'll wait till you are actually home. SO excited for you to have your little girl, hope everything goes well and can't wait to see Scarlett girl number three.