Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Winter Quarters

Saturday was Mikes last day of the Fall Quarter for School. So we all decided to go to Omaha with him that morning. We dropped him off to take his last test and my parents the kids and I went to Breakfast while we waited. Then we headed to see the Temple. We went to see the Winter Quarters temple. I had forgotten why it was called "winter quarters". Well, as the pioneers traveled from Navoo, they stopped here in Nebraska, in Omaha and stayed for the winter. HOLY NIGHT!!! Nebraska is cold!!! Not a very comfy place to cozy on up to in the Winter. But this is where they stayed. We went through the visitors center and they showed the covered wagons that were pulled, the clothes that the pioneers wore, a little cabin that would house sometimes fifteen people!!! They went through so much! We also saw the cemetery next to the Temple. The sister missionary said that most of the people buried there are children under the age of 3. I wanted to cry. I looked at my two little ones and was so grateful for the times that i live in. I am also so grateful to my parents for letting us live here with them. It was a great family day!















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun....Maddie is getting so big. Miss you guys! How did he do on his test?

Cindy said...

What a wonderful time I bet you guys had!! Isn't the temple beautiful! I love the grounds of the Winter Quarters cemetary. Awesome pictures of you guys and the girls with pioneer bonnets!!!

Kim said...

We went to Winter Quarters with the little kids when we first moved here and did the tour and they dressed them in the cute pioneer outfits...it was fun and the kids had such a good time...it's a very cool thing!! I'm glad you guys had fun....the girls look darling and I love the picture of you in the leaves..it's so cute!